Thursday, August 7, 2008

Team Darfur Member Will Carry Flag into Beijing's Bird's Nest Stadium

Great news! Lopez Lomong will carry the flag into Bird's Nest Olympic Stadium. This is great courage & leadership by the U.S. athletes. Bon courage & bonne chance in your events.

From the AP:

Former 'Lost Boy' Lomong chosen to carry U.S. flag


Associated Press

DALIAN, China -- Eight years ago, Lopez Lomong didn't even have a country. Now he'll be carrying the flag for his adopted nation, leading the U.S. Olympic team at opening ceremonies Friday night. Lomong, one of the Lost Boys of Sudan, won a vote of team captains Wednesday to earn the honor of leading America's contingent into the 90,000-seat Bird's Nest Stadium.


The 1,500-meter track runner will be the flagbearer only 13 months after becoming a U.S. citizen.

*******************

"When we were in Africa, we didn't know what was there for us as kids--we just ran. God was planning all of this stuff for me, and I didn't know. Now I'm using running to get the word out about how horrible things were back in Sudan during the war. Sometimes these things are not on CNN, so if I put out the word, I hope people can get the information. Right now, similar terrible things are going on in Darfur; people are running out of Darfur, and I put myself in their shoes." From Lopez Lomong's home page.